Accessibility is an ongoing journey. We want to make the process of building accessible websites and applications easy and sustainable. We believe the digital accessibility movement is at a tipping point; soon all developers will be required to understand how to build accessible products. We want to lead this change in an effort to support the universal right of all people to access information and technology.
Summary of the Position
Accessible Web has a current opening for a Digital Accessibility Specialist. The Digital Accessibility Specialist will audit websites & web applications and test user interfaces against the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), as well as provide consultation directly with customers about how to most effectively implement remediations. The ideal candidate will have an advanced understanding of WCAG success criteria and how to test for them, technical experience working with HTML and CSS, possess customer service skills including being a strong verbal and written communicator, and demonstrate an excellent level of attention to detail.
- Auditing & Testing – The Digital Accessibility Specialist will audit client websites and web apps for WCAG conformance through both manual tests and automated scans using the Accessible Web suite of tools.
- Results Reporting – The Digital Accessibility Specialist will deliver audit results via Accessible Web RAMP (our platform) and review them directly with the customer.
- Remediation Consulting – The Digital Accessibility Specialist will provide technical guidance to customers so that accessibility barriers are removed from current or new UI components.
- Client Management – The Digital Accessibility Specialist will provide excellent customer service to assigned A11y Partner clients to help them meet their accessibility goals with support, best practices, training, and more.
- Team Training – The Digital Accessibility Specialist will work with Junior members of the team to help them develop their WCAG auditing skills.
- Content Creation – The Digital Accessibility Specialist will write content for our blog and Academy courses.
- WCAG Auditing Experience – We are looking for someone who has an advanced level understanding of WCAG success criteria and how to audit/test against them.
- Technical Experience – We are looking for someone with a solid understanding of web development technologies and how they impact the user experience. Experience with HTML is required but developing user interfaces is not.
- Communication Skills – You should be able to clearly and effectively communicate with our customers and our team in both written and verbal fashion. Your writing skills should show a high attention to detail and your verbal communication should be formal. You should have the ability to communicate complex topics succinctly. It is crucial that the Digital Accessibility Specialist is able to describe WCAG failures & their recommended remediation techniques in a concise manner.
- Assistive Technology Experience – Auditing and testing websites involves testing interfaces and validating that they conform to WCAG requirements. Some of the tests include using a screen reader such as VoiceOver or NVDA. A high level of experience using these technologies is required.
- Organized and Disciplined – We are looking for someone that can focus and log billable hours on their own, over extended periods of time without much management oversight.
Core Competencies for Success:
- Strong attention to detail, persistent drive for problem solving
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Highly responsive, flexible, and adaptable to changing priorities / deadlines
- Ability to think critically and be creative
Salary & Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Stock Options
- Full health benefits including dental and vision coverage
- 401k with company match
- Wellness & Productivity Stipend
- 15 days PTO per year for new employees
- 8 company holidays per year + end of year closing
- Flex schedule
- Opportunity for remote employment