Web Accessibility Specialist
Accessible Web is a spin-off from Bytes.co, a successful web design & development firm located in Burlington VT. We work out of the same office with the approximately 20 Bytes.co employees. The website accessibility space is expanding quickly and is new to many people in the development community. We are looking for someone to join us that is willing to learn a new skill set (training will be provided) and become dedicated to improving the lives of others through your meaningful work.
Summary of the Position
Accessible Web has an immediate opening for a Web Accessibility Specialist. The Web Accessibility Specialist will work with clients to audit and test user interfaces against the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), as well as provide consultation about how to most effectively implement remediations. The ideal candidate will have technical experience working with HTML and CSS, possess strong verbal and written communication skills, and have strong attention to detail.
- Auditing & Testing – The Web Accessibility Specialist will audit client’s websites for WCAG conformance through both manual test and automated tools.
- Remediation Consulting – The Web Accessibility Specialist will provide technical guidance to clients so that they can remove accessibility barriers from their current or new UI components.
- Define Test Parameters – The Web Accessibility Specialist will work with the client to determine the parameters of the audit. You will need to identify a representative set of pages or UI components found in the client’s system.
- Reporting – The Web Accessibility Specialist will deliver audit results to the client and will participate in calls and follow-up discussions. You will help the client create a road map to improve their website’s accessibility, as well as its usability.
- Technical Experience – We are looking for someone with a solid understanding of web development technologies and how they impact the user experience. Experience developing user interfaces and PDF documents is a plus but not required.
- Communication Skills – You should be able to clearly and effectively communicate with clients in both written and verbal fashion. Your writing skills should show a high attention to detail and your verbal communication should be formal. You should have the ability to communicate complex topics succinctly. The Web Accessibility Specialist position is on the front-line with our customers and it is crucial that you inspire confidence when speaking with customers.
- Testing Focus – A large part of the job involves testing interfaces and validating that they conform to WCAG requirements. A desire to improve the web for all people, regardless of ability, is critical.
- Organized and Disciplined – We are looking for someone that can focus and log billable hours on their own, over extended periods of time without much management oversight.
Core Competencies for Success:
Strong attention to detail, persistent drive for problem solving, demonstrated organizational skills, ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, ability to work independently and within a team, highly responsive, flexible, and adaptable to changing priorities / deadlines, ability to think critically and be creative.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salaries commensurate with experience
- Full health benefits including dental and vision coverage
- 401k with company match
- Wellness Stipend
- 15 days PTO per year for new employees
- 8 company holidays per year + end of year closing
- Flex schedule
- Casual dress code
- Fun, small company atmosphere!